Scar formation is a natural part of the healing process after injury.
Various factors influence how your skin scars. Of course, the depth and size of the wound or incision and the location of the injury are going to impact the the scar's characteristics. But your age, heredity, even your sex or ethnicity, will all affect how your skin reacts.
These are several different types of scars including:
- Keloid scars- These scars are the result of an overly aggressive healing process. These scars extend beyond the original injury. Over time, a keloid scar may affect mobility. Possible treatments include surgical removal, or injections with steroids.
- Hypertrophic scars - Raised and red scars that are similar to keloids, but do not breach the boundaries of the injury site. Possible treatments can include injections of steroids to reduce inflammation.
- Acne scars - If you've had severe acne, you probably have the scars to prove it. There are many types of acne scars, ranging from deep pits to scars that are angular or wavelike in appearance. Possible treatments will depend on the types of acne scars you have.
- Contracture scars - If your skin has been burned, you may have a contracture scar, which causes tightening of skin that can impair your ability to move; additionally, this type of scar may go deeper to affect muscles and nerves.
The treatments for scars
The type of treatment you have depends on your particular scar. Factors that will affect the type of treatment you have include:
- the size of the scar
- the location of the scar
- character of the scar (is it raised or depressed)
- the aim of treatment (do you want to reduce the appearance of the scar or minimise a physical problem that the scar is causing, such as restricted movement)
Scar treatments we provide at our clinic include:
Steroid Injections -
In the case of protruding scars such as keloids or hypertrophic, your doctor may select to use steroid injections. He or she may use this as a stand-alone treatment, or in conjunction with other treatments. A course of steroid injections under medical supervision, into the scar help flatten and soften the appearance of keloid or hypertrophic scars. The steroid is injected into the scar itself, since very little is absorbed into the blood stream, side effects of this treatment are minor. This treatment is repeated at 4-6 week intervals. The treatment costs from £200.
Dermal Fillers Injection -
This treatment is useful for some types of pitted scarring; it provides immediate result, although it is not usually a permanent solution, normally lasts around 6-12 months. The treatment costs from £190.
Prescription Creams and Chemical Skin Peels
In case of acne scarring as a result of severe acne, the doctor will examine your scar and recommend the suitable creams and peels for your scarring. Obagi skin care system or Obagi Radiance Peel are excellent treatments for Acne and Acne scarring.
Dr. Salinda Johnson (MD., FSCD)
Dr. Salinda Johnson, is a well-respected and highly experienced Senior Aesthetic Doctor. She has also been a lecturer and trainer in Aesthetic medicine for many years. She regularly trains doctors, nurses and other medical practitioners on a range of medical aesthetic procedures with an emphasis on best practice and optimum treatment results. In addition, she writes articles for Aesthetic industry magazines and publications...
Dr. Johnson obtained her Medical degree (MD) from renowned Khon Kaen University, Thailand, in 1998. After attaining her Medical degree, she became passionate in Aesthetic medicine, so she had completed a Fellowship program in Cosmetic Dermatology at Supannahong Skin Institute, Thailand, in 2000. This confirms her expertise in all aspects of Aesthetic Dermatology. Since then, Dr. Johnson has been working in the leading Thailand and UK cosmetic companies and has regularly trained and updated in Cosmetic Medicine by attending number of courses, workshops, conferences and seminars in Thailand, UK, South Korea, etc.
Dr Johnson specialises in injectable treatments such as botulinum toxin and fillers, these treatments are her passion and she has over 10 years experience in this field. She is experienced in laser lipolysis and has particular interests in the Obagi and other skin peel treatments. She also carries out mole or skin tag removal treatments, the scar treatments and the non surgical rhinoplasty.
SPEAK TO AN ADVISOR
Why not visit us for a complimentary consultation with one of our Advisors
to discuss all your medical and cosmetic needs?
You can talk today in confidence:
Feel free to call us on +44 (0)203 581 3391 or email us directly at:
Prior to booking a consultation with the surgeon feel free to speak to our advisors in confidence. You can ask for any help or advice that you might need. We are more than happy to guide you to the procedure or surgeon that would suit you best.
Our advisors will thoroughly explain each stage of your procedure, from your consultation with the surgeon through to the post-operative care, follow-up appointment and your individual recovery period. We can discuss in detail all aspects of the procedure, answering any questions or concerns that you may have along the way.
Need More Help? Then contact us in confidence
Call +44 (0)203 664 7902 to book a consultation or to discuss your personal requirements in confidence.